Friday, November 30, 2012

Thanksgiving Feast - Part 3 (Hot Appetizers)

This soup is one of my Thanksgiving standards. It brings out the delicious flavor of butternut squash and is fairly easy to make. I make it for Thanksgiving with a veggie stock for one of my relatives, but I prefer it with a chicken stock, or as I made it this week (leftovers were gone and I wanted more!), with turkey stock. I topped it with chopped fresh sage and butternut squash roasted with olive oil, fresh thyme, salt and pepper.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


Butternut Squash and Roasted-Garlic Bisque


Ingredients:
  • 2 heads of garlic, halved crosswise
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
  • 3 cups chopped onions
  • 3/4 cup chopped carrots
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 4 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 6 cups chicken broth or turkey broth (or veggie broth)
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
  • 1 tsp salt
  • optional: heavy cream

Directions:


1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Rub cut surfaces of garlic with oil. Put halves back together to reassemble heads. Wrap each tightly in foil; bake until tender, about 40 minutes. Cool garlic in foil.

2. Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery; sauté until onions are beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add squash, broth and 2 tablespoons sage. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered until squash is tender, about 25 minutes. 

3. Meanwhile, unwrap garlic. Squeeze from skin into small bowl. Discard skin. Mash garlic with fork until smooth. Remove any hard pieces of garlic (this can happen if you roast too long). Stir garlic into soup.

4. Let the soup cool and then, working in batches, purée soup in blender until smooth. Return to pot. Add 1 tsp of salt or to taste.

5. If desired, add some heavy cream and top with fresh sage. (I like to let my guests add their own cream)



Mulled Cider

I love the smell of mulled cider while I am putting the finishing touches on my Thanksgiving meal. It simmers on the stove in the kitchen and makes me feel warm and cozy.  I like to put together a mix of cloves, cinnamon sticks, and allspice, and perhaps add a few peppercorns. You can just throw them in with the cider and simmer, or you can "toast" them in the empty pot first, then add the cider and simmer. Even though cider is naturally sweet, you can enhance the flavor even more by adding a small amount of brown sugar. If it's not all gone by  the time your guests leave, you can put it in the fridge and drink it cold later or reheat and enjoy the warmth again.

No comments:

Post a Comment